Sun 28th July Manawatu Schools Cycling BikeManawatu Sunday Recreational Ride
Wed 31th July Wednesday Recreational Ride
Other dates to pencil in: Sat 17th August BM Race 3 – Linton Camp – Course Confirmed(Alternatively we also have traffic management approved for our Akers Road circuit as a back up also!) – Pre Register Here Thanks to Palmfeild Motors if this is your first time racing, or you haven't raced in any of our club races in the last 12 months, come on out and have a go - for FREE.
Long Endurance Rides before Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge
With so many of our members joining Colin Anderson as he marks off 100 official laps of the lake (and goodness knows how many unofficial laps), I thought it would be a good idea to organise 2 long endurance rides to help everyone log those miles in preparation. These rides will also be useful for those doing the 1 lap event also.
Everyone is welcome to join us for these group rides, and will have a ‘no drop’ policy. If we get large numbers interested, then we may separate in to smaller bunches to allow for differing levels of fitness and ability.
The first ride will be Sunday 8 September, and will be Apiti Loop. There will be a coffee stop in either Feilding or back in town at the completion of the ride.
The second ride will be around 200km, and will most likely be a loop around to Pongaroa with a stop at the pub for lunch. As this ride is a longer ride, and is reasonably challenging, we will have a support van and mechanic for this one, so a small contribution towards fuel and paying for the mechanics time will be required.
Please click on the link below to express your interest, so I can see how much interest there is in providing these rides.
As we now build towards Schools Nationals, the pinnacle event of our schools cycling calendar, I think it is a good time to take inspiration from some our past (and present) MSC cyclists to drive you towards your goals, for not only this event, but also any future aspirations and dreams you may have in this sport.
When you look at this list of riders currently racing and chasing their dreams around the world, you can understand why for nearly 9 years I have said that if you are racing at MSC events, you are racing at the top level in NZ (and now the world) week in and week out.... I just didn’t realise how many of them until I started to compile this!!!
· Robert Stannard riding for Mitchelton Scott on the World Pro Tour – enough said - and wow.
· World Elite Omnium Track Champion Campbell Stewart (again – wow)has recently been road racing in Europe and then Canada taking a number of podiums there and now starting preparations for Olympic Games.
· Michaela Drummond has recently been on the Road and Track in the famous T-Town winning her first UCI Omnium title and then preparing for Olympic Games.
· Luke Mudgeway is with his Irish UCI Continental team – Evo Pro – and still inspiring the next generation of youth (see photo).
· Lizzy Stannard – Has been racing Australian NRS events and in Europe.
· Emily Sherman part of the NZ Endurance team and part of the team build up for Oceania’s and as part of the World Cup event team.
· Ethan Crain competing at the Tour de L’Abitibi (U19 Nations Cup) in Canada and taking a stage podium over the past couple of weeks.
· Dylan Simpson is racing in America and Canada at both UCI events and then following Michaela’s lead heading to T-Town track cycling.
· Carne Groube has been riding for his Australian NRS team and now in Canada and America on the road with Dylan before returning to NRS events in Australia.
· Joel Yates is with his American team Gateway Devo Cycling Team. (Sorry Joel – please fill in the gaps as my research hit May!)
· Libby Arbuckle is ridding for the Mike Greer Homes Women team competing in Europe in a number UCI Road events and taking out a podium.
· Connie O’Brien, also riding for the Mike Greer Homes women team with Libby, and not to be out done, was also standing on the podium in in yet another UCI event.
· The most recent success story (today) is Maddi Hartley Brown, who is racing in America for the team New England Devo for 5 months, has just won one of the stages Intelligentsia Cup stages in Chicago.
Not to forget our Tri- athletes in David and Adam Martin who are both in Europe competing and have both podiumed in the last week - with many more to come.
An unbelievable number and I am sorry if I have missed anyone – Please let me know!!
Yes, I know more about some than others, but it is incredible to look at the list above and see the amazing things that are happening for these cyclists from their humble beginnings riding the same races you now are, week in, and week out at Manawatu Schools Cycling.
These 15 individuals are taking on the world, while doing what they love. Take inspiration, chase your dreams and remember it all starts on a winter Sunday morning in Manawatu!!
Are you Passionate about Girls and Women in Sport and Active Recreation?? Sport Manawatu are holding a breakfast to look at co-creating an annual event in the Manawatu. Whatever your background whether you are an Athlete, Coach, Manager, Parent, Teacher or Volunteer. YOU ARE INVITED We have 4 guest speakers who will being sharing their Sporting journeys with us. Verity Sharland – Coach Central U18 Women Hockey – winner 2017, 2018, 2019 Johanna Wood – Chair NZ Football plus on FIFA Executive Committee Kelly Evans – Managing Director, Cultivate Group Suraya Goss – Co-captain of the Manawatu Under 19 Netball team Spots are very limited so Register by clicking THIS LINK
Napier Rd, Stoney Creek Rd, Bunnythorpe, Dixons line, right into Reads line East, left into Watershed Rd, right to Ashhurst, left at North St, Pohangina Rd, Valley Rd, Colyton, Feilding, Kimbolton Rd, East St, Aorangi Rd, Campbells Rd, Railway Rd Roberts line, Kelvin Rd Tremain Ave